WHERE YOU GO IS NOT WHO YOU'LL BE


In the coming days and weeks, students around the country will be receiving the admission news they’ve been anxiously waiting months to receive.  For some, the answer will be a reason to celebrate. For many others, the answer will be a shocking disappointment they find difficult to understand and unable to accept.  For the students and their parent(s)/guardian(s) who find themselves in the “many others” category, I’m here to tell you, it’s going to be ok. Trust me. 

I’d like to share a quick story with you, in hopes it will provide you some peace of mind and a glimmer of hope that the road does not end here. 



DIARY OF A HEARTBROKEN MOM WHO SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER


The day my son found out he did not get accepted to his first choice college, we both cried. We cried a lot.  With an acceptance rate of less than 17%, we did our best to prepare for the worst while we hoped for the best.  Yet, despite our efforts to be prepared for whatever the outcome, the disappointment was overwhelming and the heartache, undeniable.  I can say, without hesitation, I was caught off-guard by the level of emotion this unfortunate news brought with it. 

The truth is, despite my knowledge of the college admissions process, I unknowingly allowed myself to get caught up in the college admissions frenzy, resulting in a complete loss of my common sense and rationale.  Searching for some relief, I purchased the book, "Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be" by Frank Bruni.  All I can say is, what a difference a book makes!

As I laughed and cried reading the pages of this incredibly profound book, the weight of my disappointment felt lighter as clarity and reason began to come into focus.  In the days that followed, I shared with my son, many of the stories Mr. Bruni so vividly wrote about, offering him new perspective and understanding of the admission process and how decisions are made.  Slowly but surely, with hope and excitement restored, the mood in our home returned to normal and excitement erupted when my son received an incredible admission offer he could not refuse.  In the end, everything turned out the way it was supposed to.  It usually does.   

So, why have I shared this story with you?  It’s simple; because I care.  If you are a student or the parent/guardian of a student who is anxiously awaiting admission notifications, I strongly encourage you to read this book. While it is my sincere hope that you receive celebratory news, I want you to be prepared in the event it is not. This book will help put things in perspective for you and will inspire you to see past your disappointment and move forward in your journey to achieving your goals. 

Remember, Where You Go is Not Who You’ll Be!


Can you guess who the young man in the picture is?  
Yep, that's my son! 

 He's my proof that what's supposed to happen, usually does. 



Good luck to you!

The CAP Team
www.CollegeAdmissionPursuit.com

#WhereYouGoIsNotWhoYoullBe
#DiaryOfAHeartbrokenMomWhoShouldHaveKnownBetter
#HopeForTheBestPrepareForTheWorst

Comments

Post a Comment